Tuesday, March 20, 2007

The 9th, 10th and 11th Great Obituary Writers Conferences

The wait is over, grimsters.
The sites of the next three obituary writers conferences are set.

The 9th is scheduled for June 14-16, 2007, in Alfred, N.Y.
The 10th - in 2008 - will be in Toronto, Ontario.
And the 11th will be in Marin County, Calif., in 2009.

Carolyn Gilbert, the founder of the conferences and the International Association of Obituarists, has posted all sorts of details and has promised to give updates along the way at Obitpage.com.

Make your reservations for Alfred as soon as possible. See you there!

4 comments:

mckie said...

hello alana. hope to see you there. wherever the hell there is. what's nearest? rochester? scranton? the back of beyond?

Alana Baranick said...

Hey, Andrew.

I have never been to Alfred, but I'm looking forward to going there.

I've been trying to figure out how the "village of Alfred" can be located "in the town of Alfred," as Wikipedia reports.

Rochester, N.Y., is the closest metropolis. It's 82 miles and a 1-hour-and-20-minute drive from Alfred.

Both Scranton, Pa., and Cleveland, Ohio, are about 3 hours away from Alfred.

More important for me is that Cleveland, N.Y., is 2 hours and 44 minutes away from Alfred.

Naturally, this means that I will be driving from my own Cleveland to New York's Cleveland a few days before the 9th Great.

I'll meet the locals, take pictures and pick up an indigenous stone for my collection of Cleveland Rocks during my stay.

I'll be in Alfred by lunchtime Thursday.

Here are some more links to Alfred info:
http://www.alfred.edu/community/

http://www.alfredny.org

Dave Snyder would be the best person to contact for specific information about this one traffic-light town.

Stephen Miller said...

Andrew - You'll be needing a camp stove and an even bigger hat.

Andrew Losowsky said...

Excellent - I'll be in New York City around then, so I think I can pop along. See you in Alfred, Alfred NY (so small they named it twice), then.

Let me know if anyone is travelling from the larger Apple too.